Thursday, May 2, 2013

Brotha

Recently, my brother, Ian, got drafted to the New York Red Bulls for soccer. The Red Bulls are known for being a very good professional soccer program. After being drafted, I immediately got so many texts and random people that I did not even know came up to me and told me to tell him congrats. At first I was just like yeah it is pretty cool but not too big of a deal. When I got home from school and saw my brother, it finally sunk in. My eyes began to water and I gave him the biggest hug possible, I was so proud to call Ian my brother. Many have asked the question, “Do you feel famous?” or “Aren’t you jealous?” Well the answer to the first one is no, just because he got drafted does not mean that I am famous, it simply means that he has become more popular. Now the second question on the other hand is yes. I am very jealous of him. I have dreamed about myself going professional in soccer and now that Ian has done it, it makes me jealous. He gets to play with some of the most famous people in soccer history.
The Red Bulls play in April and I am most definitely going to cheer him on. I have been asked by multiple people if they can come with me and meet him. I find it very funny how only one of my friends wanted to meet him before he got drafted, and now a bunch of people want to. I will most likely just go with my family because family road trips are the best. Many people do not understand how much work it takes to even make the draft let alone be picked. My brother worked his butt off to get wear he is today. I remember when I was little and I would go and play soccer out in the back yard with all three of my brothers. Obviously I was terrible at it because I was very little, but just the fact that they let me play with them used to make me so happy. I still occasionally go outside with my other two brothers and play, but it will never be quite the same as having all three of them. This is why there are some bad things about him being drafted. I will only get to see him for seven days a year, and I will miss him very much. I know that this is what Ian wanted because he would work out almost every day not just to get better at soccer, but also just to play the thing that he loved most, soccer. My family is obsessed with soccer because four out of the six kids in my family play soccer and the other two still enjoy watching it. I do not think that there is one day that my family does not talk about soccer, and I think that my brother had the motivation to do well in soccer because he had his whole family to love and support what he loves doing. (526 words)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! Congrats to your brother! Where in NY will he live...and when will you get to visit? :) Does he start right away? Do members of the team have other jobs/careers or is this a full time career on its own?

    ReplyDelete