Sunday, April 21, 2013

Poem

I stand bare feet in the sand,
As the waves dance across the shore.
The dark sun peeks through the clouds,
And I break free by the crack in the door.
I become lost in the sparkle of the water.
The reflection mimics my every move,
As if it were a mime.
The flowers sweep the ground like a broom.
Birds chirp throughout the trees,
And fly across the sea with ease.
Even the fins in the water look at peace.
I collect the shells and make the memory,
Thinking about how tomorrow this will be gone,
Wishing that I could stay forever,
Knowing that I will come back never.


In line 3 the "dark sun" is an oxymoron because the sun is bright, but it appears dark because it is peeking through the clouds.

In line 4 the "crack in the door" is a surprising choice of words because the sun peeking through the clouds is like the crack in the door because you are peeking through the crack to see what is on the other side, just like the sun.

Line 7 is a simile because it compares the reflection in the water to a mime.

In line 8 is a personification because the flowers "sweep" the ground as a real person would do.

In line 9 and 10 the birds chirping in the trees symbolize freedom because they are free to chirp and fly where ever they please.

Line 11 is ironic because the fins in the water are sharks but are referred to as peaceful.

Line 11 is an allusion because the fins allude to sharks, even though it is not stated in the text.



2 comments:

  1. I like your poem:) its really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem reminds me of tropical vacations...and that fleeting feeling that they don't last forever! But, your images do a good job reminding me that the memory of the place does last!

    ReplyDelete