Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Journey to Success

On a day of terrible cold weather and a terrible day at school, I was woken from my nightnare by a surprise call from my brother. He had annouced to me that he had been drafted to the New York Red Bulls. Although I keep up with most of the professional soccer teams, I was not too familiar with the Red Bulls. I was aware that they were a good soccer team, but I was not too sure if they were successful in winning games. So far, they have done well in the preseason. My brother got to play in the first game of preseason and ended up scoring the game winning goal. When I found out that he had scored, I was at school. I was so pissed that I did not get to watch it and nobody taped it for me so I could watch it back. All I know, is that he scored a header goal, must have been pretty exciting for him I assume.

Sometimes I wish that I could be half as successful as he has been in his life, but I am just happy that he gets to live his life just the way he wants to. His dream when he was little was to become a professional soccer player, and no he is living his dream. How cool would that be? In my opinion, I think it would be the most overwhelming and helpful thing. You would also learn a lot about different live styles. For example, fir my brother started out play soccer in Cedar Rapids. After a couple of years, he started to travel to different countries and states across the world. Awhile later, he moved to Illinois the play with the Chicago Fire academy team, where he went to high school not too far away from where he practiced. For college, Ian moved to Washington D.C. where he played college soccer and ended up getting second in the national division one soccer tournament. After getting second, he left college a little early in his senior year to go into the MLS draft where he was finally selected to join the New York Red Bulls team. He is still enjoying himself just as much as he did when he first got drafted.

 When talking to Ian, I can tell that he is a little home sick. Occationally I will talk to him on the phone when he has down time, but that is not too often. Although he loves his life, he wishes he could have his family there to enjoy the journey with him, and my whole family supports him 100%.

Word Count: 445 words

No comments:

Post a Comment